There is a legal difference between withdrawing from a contract and terminating or ending one. (Read more about withdrawing here).
Either side can terminate a contract.
Before the lease agreement starts
If a tenant cannot or does not want to move in on the date written on the lease agreement, then he or she may terminate the contract unilaterally without giving any reason.
In this case, there is no notice period, and it is effective as soon as you are notified about the termination.
- If the tenant notifies you of termination more than 30 days before the lease agreement starts, we will refund the first rent together with the service charge to the tenant, so this does not affect you.
- If the tenant notifies you 29 to 14 days before the lease agreement starts, the tenant gets a refund of half of the first monthly rent and service charge. The landlord keeps the remaining 50% of the first rent.
- If the tenant notifies you 13 days or less before the lease agreement starts, the tenant is not entitled to the first rental or service charge. The landlord keeps the first monthly rent, and you can immediately advertise your flat again.
After the lease starts
There are various circumstances that allow either party to terminate the agreement after the lease has begun. The lease agreement lists the reasons and circumstances when this may occur. For example, if one party’s rights and obligations have been violated.
How do we proceed with a termination?
The procedure for terminating a contract is similar in all cases, no matter the reason for seeking termination. You can perform all the actions in My Rentals.
- Select a tenant in the Tenants section of My Rentals.
- In the menu under the tenant’s name, select the Agreements tab.
- To see a specific lease agreement, click Detail button.
- Press Terminate agreement button.
You will see the following notice options in accordance with your lease agreement:
- By mutual agreement
“By mutual agreement” means that you and the tenant both agree to end the contract. For example, if you agree with the tenant today that you will terminate the contract tomorrow, select “By mutual agreement”. The system will ask you for the termination date and the reason for termination. After pressing Save, the tenant will create an amendment in the system, which must be signed using the online authorization code. When the tenant signs, the system will notify you and the rent owed will be recalculated automatically according to the new termination date. The contract will be canceled on your agreed date without further notification.
- By the tenant
The tenant can terminate the rental contract without giving a reason with a standard 30-day notice period. There are two ways to do this:
- The tenant arranges it via the Flatio app – The system will send you an email. The 30-day notice period begins at the moment of delivery. You don’t need to take any action.
- The tenant asks for your assistance – In this case, the tenant notifies you that he would like to terminate the contract. This notice may be oral (by phone / in person) or in writing (by letter, text message, or through My Rentals). Then you must terminate the agreement from My Rentals. Choose "By the tenant" type and enter the date the tenant told you they wished to terminate in the Termination Date (so, if the tenant announced it yesterday, please enter yesterday’s date.). You don’t need to fill in the section Termination of Lease to Date. Finish by clicking Save.
- By the landlord
You can also terminate a lease agreement with a 30-day notice period and without giving any reason. You may notify the tenant either verbally or in writing, but you also need to terminate the rental agreement on the Flatio system through My Rentals.
- For gross violation